One of the keys to making better decisions within your company is that you measure the performance of your employees with some frequency. For this, various tools can be used, and one of the most useful is the 360 degree evaluation method . In this post we will talk about its advantages and disadvantages.
What is the 360 degree evaluation method?
In order to understand what this evaluation method is about, we must take into account the importance of human resources for a company. As this is your most valuable capital, developing the skills and abilities of each employee is essential for the company to be successful.
What is the 360 Degree Assessment Method, the Advantages and Disadvantages for Companies?
But to make an employee’s full potential flourish, you need to evaluate it and know its limitations. This is where 360-degree evaluation becomes useful: a method that allows evaluating the integral performance of the employee based on the opinions and judgments of the people who work directly with him.
To achieve this type of evaluation, it is necessary to receive feedback from the employee’s immediate bosses, his colleagues, his subordinates and the clients who have contact with him. With this, it is possible to measure how the employee works (his behaviors and attitudes), and how much he works (how much he produces, in how long).
What is achieved with this evaluation?
- Measure the employee’s competencies , to know exactly what he is good at and what he should improve on. And not only in terms of technical work, but also in terms of his ability to work as a team, how he manages information and if he is empathetic or not.
- Design programs that promote employee development, since we already know the effects of motivation on job performance . In order to plan this type of strategy, it is essential to have knowledge of the current situation.
- Evaluate the performance of employees within the company, and detect those who, although they have potential, are not making the most of it to fulfill their tasks. It is always important, in addition, to motivate these employees so that they know that their effort will be worth it.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method for companies?
If implemented correctly, the 360-degree evaluation method is very useful to complement the performance evaluation system that you use in your company. Whether it is a question-and-answer assessment or grading scales, the 360 method can be applied to all of them.
- It is a highly objective method , since it evaluates each competence in its own context. For example, teamwork skills will be better assessed by a colleague than by a client, and therefore the client probably should not provide this type of information in the assessment.
- It allows biases to be avoided in the evaluation, since information is received from very diverse sources, with different responsibilities, different roles within the company and with a different relationship with the employee to be evaluated.
- As it collects a large amount of information, it allows to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each employee, and take advantage of them to form more productive work teams .
- As it involves different departments, this type of evaluation encourages horizontal communication within the company, even within a vertical organizational structure .
- It guarantees that the promotion processes are fairer, since it allows each employee to be evaluated from all their angles, putting all their pros and cons on the table when deciding.
Although this evaluation method has beneficial aspects, it also has its negative side. For starters, it can be difficult to manage , requiring extensive pre-planning and synchronization of many people on a single task.
On the other hand, analyzing all the information that is collected can be extremely complicated if you do not have a software for it. And, if not applied properly, it can generate an environment of non-constructive criticism that, far from helping collaboration between departments, will make relations between them more difficult.
We hope that with this article you have learned what the 360-degree evaluation method is, and what are the advantages and disadvantages it offers for companies that decide to apply it. Do not forget to share it if you liked it.